The Fort Report September 16th – 22nd
The Women in Cinema Film Festival opens this weekend plus Synthesizer doc, Robin Hood, and Stage to screen are what we can look forward to this week!
Tuesday the 16th
- The Ark Lodge Cinemas: The Trip to Italy, Calvary, and Boyhood play through Thursday
- The Central Cinema: Monty Python and the Holy Grail “quote along” and Flashdance end a run tonight.
- SIFF Cinema Uptown: The Drop, The Trip to Italy, Sagrada: The Mystery of Creation, and God Help the Girl play through Thursday.
- The Crest Cinema: Maleficent, X-Men:DoFP in 2d and 3d, Earth to Echo, The Fault in our Stars, and Jersey Boys play through Thursday.
- Harvard Exit: Boyhood and Love is Strange play through Thursday. Additionally, Shakespeare’s Globe on Screen presents: Twelfth Night one night exclusively.
- Guild 45th: Woody Allen’s latest Magic in the Moonlight & Land Ho are playing and are likely to end on Thursday
- Seven Gables: Kevin Klein plays Errol Flynn in the bio-drama The Last of Robin Hood.
- Varsity Theater: A Letter to Momo, Johnathan Demme’s (Silence of the Lambs & Philadelphia) A Master Builder starring Wallace Shaw, Julie Hagerty, and Andre Gregory plays through Thursday. Additionally, the Varsity presents The Man on Her Mind, a romantic film based on the London stage play of the same name.
- The Tin Theater: Juliette Binoche and Clive Owen star in Words and Pictures playing until Thursday.
Wednesday the 17th
- SIFF Cinema Egyptian: SIFF’s Women in Cinema film festival opens tonight with Keira Knightly and Chloe Grace Moretz in Laggies with director Lynn Shelton scheduled to appear.
Thursday the 18th
- Guild 45th: The most anticipated comedy of the year, This is Where I Leave You opens tonight at 10pm.
Friday the 19th
- The Central Cinema: Real Genius and Troll Hunter begin a run that plays into Tuesday of next week.
- The Grand Illusion Cinema: I Dream of Wires is a documentary about the phenomenal resurgence of the modular synthesizer; exploring the passions, obsessions and dreams of people who have dedicated part of their lives to this esoteric electronic music machine. OPENING NIGHT 9/19: Modular synth duo performance by Kaori Suzuki (Magic Echo Music) & Chris Davis (Brain Fruit) after the screening. Modular video artist Nick Bartoletti will provide a visual accompaniment to the music.
- SIFF Cinema Uptown:
- Transit: This affecting and very timely drama deals with the struggle of an extended Filipino family working in Israel but faced with the prospect of separation when a new law threatens their children with deportation.
- In Between Worlds: German army commander Jesper forms a bond with his Afghani translator, Tarik, as they try to protect a village from the growing Taliban influence. Gorgeously shot on location in Afghanistan and loosely based on several real-life incidents,Inbetween Worldshonestly explores the tense plight of its characters on both sides of the fence.
- Rocks in my Pockets: Five fantastical animated tales based on the courageous women of Latvian filmmaker Signe Baumane’s family and their battles with madness.
- Harvard Exit: Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader star in the drama comedy the Skeleton Twins about a set of twins both struggling to make sense of their lives after both reeling from the torments of adult life.
- The Guild 45th: James McAvoy and Jessica Chastain star in the drama The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby.
- The Varsity Theater: An exclusive one-week engagement of Flamenco Flamenco
- The Tin theater: Showing through the week is Johnny Depp in Transcendence.
- Sundance Cinema: Love is Strange, the Drop, Boyhood, the Trip to Italy, The One I Love, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Hundred Foot Journey, May in the Summer, Chef and Calvary play until Thursday. Additionally, Sundance presents Jealousy as part of their Screening Room
Saturday the 20th
- The Grand Illusion Cinema: Join them for a rare 35mm screening of Billy Wilder’s classic comedy Some Like it Hot! at their 5th annual fundraiser! There will be drinks, light hors d’oeuvres, a silent auction & raffle. All money raised will go towards improvements ongoing operating expenses at the cinema. $30 (includes one drink).
- SIFF Cinema Uptown: Monk With a Camera, Misconception, the Last Season, Someone You Love, and Kelly and Cal play as part of the Women in Cinema festival.
Sunday the 21st
- Central Cinema: Watch the Seahawks take on the Broncos on the big screen at 1:25pm!
- SIFF Cinema Uptown: Panel discussion Going Above and Beyond to Make Groundbreaking Film. Femme Future, Stray Dog, Lock Charmer, and I Am Yours play as part of the Women in Cinema Film Festival.
Monday the 22nd
- SIFF Film Center: Eco-Drama Night Moves starring Jessie Eisenberg plays as part of the Recent Raves film series.
- SIFF Cinema Uptown: presents the documentary Tough Love with cast present for post Q&A. Additionally, SIFF presents First Draft, a screenplay series offering local screenwriters the opportunity to stage readings of their work using professional actors in front of a live audience, followed by feedback from industry insiders and audience members, alike. We kick off the 2014/2015 season on September 22 with the first three episodes of a new series by George Wing.
Opening Next Week